Principal, Data Mining and Visualization
Both nationally and internationally renowned for his contributions as a pioneer in the field of data mining, Dr. David Belanger, PhD, has extensive experience overseeing the development of highly innovative and leading edge solutions.
As AT&T Labs Chief Scientist, Dr. Belanger was responsible for overseeing the direction of technology within AT&T, and acting as a technical liaison to university, government and major business customers.
Prior to his role as Chief Scientist, Dr. Belanger served as Vice President of Information, Software, and Systems Research for 15 years, leading research in topics ranging from computer science and data management, to analysis and visualization of data, and applications among areas such as: fraud, service/network operations, marketing, and mobility. Dr. Belanger was the creator of the AT&T InfoLab, an organization aimed at optimizing the value gained from data within AT&T.
Dr. Belanger joined AT&T Bell Laboratories in 1979, working in the area of database support for economic analysis of product lifecycles. This was followed by research on large scale data and information systems, and automatic program generation for data manipulation systems. He built the Software Engineering Research Department which provided software tools and techniques used across AT&T Bell Labs, and via open source across the world.
Dr. Belanger received his BS from Union College (NY) in Mathematics, and an MS and PhD, in Mathematics, from Case Western Reserve University.
Accomplishments and Honors:
- AT&T Science and Technology Medal for his contributions in very large scale information mining technology. (1998)
- AT&T Fellow for “lifetime contributions in software, software tools, and information mining”. (2006)
- Senior Research Fellow at Stevens Institute of Technology.
- IEEE Communications Society Industrial Innovator Award – 2009
- Senior Member – IEEE
- Distinguished Engineer Award, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)